I read an interesting book called Psycho Cybernetics by Dr. Maxwell Maltz. The book is based on scientific research and elaborates something called a servo-mechanism or a creative-mechanism which is inbuilt in all living things. Servo mechanisms can now be found in sorts of electro-mechanical gadgets including cars, heaters, production machines, Air Conditioners, etc.
A servo-mechanism is basically a goal seeking mechanism. It is just like the way a laser guided missile works. The missile spots the target, locks onto the target and then shoots. It then keeps adjusting its speed and direction as it moves towards its target. The missile uses both negative and positive feedback from the environment to auto-correct as it moves forward until it finally hits the target.
All living things have two primary goals. Survival and Procreation. That is why we strive to eat and have sex. Human beings are special in that they have a variety of other needs like love, happiness, entertainment, achievement, etc. We can utilize our inbuilt servo mechanisms to achieve anything we want including better PERSONAL FINANCES.
Here are the key takeaways from the book and how they apply to your PERSONAL FINANCES:
1. Your built-in success mechanism must have a goal or “target.” This goal, or target, must be conceived of as “already in existence—now” either in actual or potential form. It operates by either (1) steering you to a goal already in existence or by (2) “discovering” something already in existence. So make sure you have MONEY GOALS.
2. The automatic mechanism is teleological, that is, operates, or must be oriented to “end results,” goals. Do not be discouraged because the “means whereby” may not be apparent. It is the function of the automatic mechanism to supply the “means whereby” when you supply the goal. Think in terms of the end result, and the means whereby will often take care of themselves. Don’t worry so much about how you will achieve your MONEY GOALS. Keep the end in mind and trust the process.
3. Do not be afraid of making mistakes, or of temporary failures. All servo-mechanisms achieve a goal by negative feedback, or by going forward, making mistakes, and immediately correcting course. ACT immediately and correct course as you move towards your MONEY GOALS.
4. Skill learning of any kind is accomplished by trial and error, mentally correcting aim after an error, until a “successful” motion, movement or performance has been achieved. After that, further learning, and continued success, is accomplished by forgetting the past errors, and remembering the successful response, so that it can be “imitated.” Forget the past and boldly move towards your MONEY GOALS.
5. You must learn to trust your creative mechanism to do its work and not “jam it” by becoming too concerned or too anxious as to whether it will work or not, or by attempting to force it by too much conscious effort. You must “let it” work, rather than “make it” work. This trust is necessary because your creative mechanism operates below the level of consciousness, and you cannot “know” what is going on beneath the surface. Moreover, its nature is to operate spontaneously according to present need. Therefore, you have no guarantees in advance. It comes into operation as you act and as you place a demand upon it by your actions. You must not wait to act until you have proof—you must act as if it is there, and it will come through. “Do the thing and you will have the power,” said Emerson.
This process will work and somehow your mind will figure out how to achieve your MONEY GOALS.